The Life of a Bealeton Babe

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Chirstmas Tree

It's the time of year again. And what used to take us only one day to do, or a matter of hours, has been taking us days. I'm STILL decorating the tree since getting it on Sunday. Somehow with having a baby, you don't exactly get to spend three hours in a row straight doing something. Also, over the years, I have amassed a huge amount of Xmas decorations and it's become a science of putting them on. I have the nearly 30 year old sleigh that has to go near the top and all the wooden reindeer ornaments have to trail behind it in such a fashion. This year, the presents in the back of the sleigh ornament came apart. So the hubby needed to glue it back on. That stopped production for a while. Also, the hubby and I have our own hobbies reflected in our tree. He loves airplanes. Therefore, we have airplane ornaments. I collect Barbies, over the years, family and friends have gotten me quite a few Barbie ornaments.

This year, to save space, I decided to put some Barbie ornaments on my sofa table. Hubby said they actually look nice there. So now I've got Barbie ornaments, airplane ornaments, the sleigh with reindeers, I also have the enesco set of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer ornaments, the nursery rhymn ornaments from when I was a child, and various Christmas balls with some that date back to when my grandfather was alive...

Why do i keep all this stuff? Simple the ornaments reflect not just milestones in my life (wedding, first baby, ect), but they reflect my childhood, my history...ect. I remember as a child our tree would be in front of the window or in the middle of the living room. I'd be able to walk around it easy (right now my tree is against a bookcase, thus not making the back accessible). I would walk around my tree and create a story for each ornament, especially for the nursery rhymn ones. There are just too many memories in many of them to just throw out or not put up.

My mom always says how they need to throw out their ornaments and start over. My natural mother actually had a very 'clean tree' (white lights, white balls, snowmen ornaments). I just can't go with a 'clean tree'. I like see the mishmosh of my Christmas tree. I think it embodies my husband's and my personality. And over the years, it will show my daughter's too...isn't that what it's all about? A tree of memories?

1 Comments:

  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger TSC Girl said…

    Rhus why we have 2 full trees in our house. A "clean" tree in the living room for my mom, complete w/ all white lights and all pink and crystal victorian ornaments. I call it the "Macy's tree b/c it looks like a display in a store. Then we have the tree of memories in the family room. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home