The Life of a Bealeton Babe

Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Meat man

Ohhh, does that title sound like a big fat innuendo (I can't spell...my dad is so disappointed...all those hours practicing). Anyway, you know how kids go crazy when the ice cream man comes into town? Eddie Murphy did a great stand up piece on it in the '80s, wrote a song about it an everything. Well did you ever think there is a ice cream man equivalent for men? There is...it's the Meat Man...now pay attention here.

I love my hubby, we have established that already. However, he's always on me about saving money. And I have become such a Frugal Fanny that even he is impressed with my comparison shopping and coupon clipping. Also, I have become much less of a 'impulse buyer'. Well the hubby, with all his frugalness, totally contradicted himself the other day.

At this point, i need to explain, 'The Meat Man'. The 'Meat Man' is a classic example of how I live in a rural area now. If you've ever watched shows like Little House on the Prarie or the Waltson, you may have seen something like the Meat Man. It's a guy that owns a farm to raise and slaughter meat. After their meat is ready, they go door to door trying to sell their wares. Well in modern day terms, our meat man is a company, not a lone farmer, and they have already packaged and frozen their meats. However, they still go door to door selling their wares. On Friday, my hubby was lucky enough to open the door (I was nursing, I would have sent them on their way cause I've gotten good at saying 'no'). Hubby, on the other hand, has not gotten good at saying 'no'.

So this is where I compare the Meat Man to the Ice Cream man. My frugal, money conscience hubby spent $170 on meat. Yes, that's $170 on meat. We don't have to buy steaks or anything for quite a few months (until March). He got T-bones, special cuts, pieces wrapped in bacon, and even crab cakes (so not all meat, the crab cakes were a bribe to me I'm sure). Our freezer is stuffed. While I see the reasoning behind his buying the meat (it's cheaper than any of our area food stores), I find it hysterical, it was my hubby that succombed to the Meat Man.

So I'm guessing, the Meat Man is the grown man equivalent to the Ice cream man. That truck goes down our road playing southern rock music and the men come running out chasing it going "Meat Man! Meat Man! Gimme mah meat! T-bone steaks, choice cuts, stop here!!" Then the men look over the Meat Man's wares, chose their picks, and then write their checks (or pass over their credit card). Afterwards they do their little dance (if you haven't heard Eddie Murphy's ice cream man gig you won't get this).

"I got my meat, and I'm gonna eat it all, I'm gonna eat all the meat...
You ain't got no meat...cause you're a pussy, you're has you whipped...
and you can't have none, you can't have none..."

Something like that is how I see the song going...then afterwards, follows the only time a man will organize the freezer (no way his woman can figure out how to fit all that meat--oh the puns!) .

The next day the hubby turned to me and said "I just spent $170 on meat". I asked him if he had buyers remorse and he said "Hell no." Well let's hope he's not taking a day off again when the Meat Man returns...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home