The Life of a Bealeton Babe

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Little Town Called Bealeton

Considering the title of this blog, I figure I should probably talk more about the town I live in. Bealeton is located in Faquier County, Virginia (huh, huh, if I say Fauquier really fast, do you know what it sounds like? huh-huh). You seriously can drive by it and not even realize you did. Not that it's tiny small, but the town is kinda parallel and below the major highway, so you can't see it.

Actually when friends ask where we live, I tell them we live just past the middle of nowhere. They laugh and then ask for directions to come visit. When they finally do arrive, they say "Yeah you really are out here." That's a translation for "I'm not coming here much cause it's too damn far...do you know I passed tractors, shooting ranges, cow pastures, horse farms, corn fields, even an al paca farm just to get here??!!" To most people from DC or even in my part of New Jersey, it's another world.

Unfortunately, due to the explosion of urbanization in the state of VA (a post for another time), Bealeton is growing. However, it's still, for now, a small town.

Highlights for the area include the Food Lion grocery store, the high school, the middle school, the elementary school, and of course, the Bealeton Flying Circus (an old time air show that runs every weekend from spring to fall). Also included in the town are such fine dining places as McDonald's, Diary Queen, a really low level Chinese restaurant, subway, and Quiznos. Recently, we've been excited to welcome a fine dining Chinese restaurant (liquor included), a Five Guys Burgers, and a new Italian restaurant (God send us a REAL sub place and a REAL pizza place).

If you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic. No, no Bealeton really has these things and the citizens are really excited about them (by citizens I mean people that have been in Bealeton five years or more before I moved in). I guess I'm trying to insinuate or describe how Bealeton is very much the redneck part of VA. Not that I'm surrounded by rednecks. No, we definitely aren't but the town has that feel. When hubby and I first moved in, we were standing on our porch just looking around. Suddenly, music started blaring from a house caddy corner to us. It was of course "Redneck Girl" by Gretchen Wilson. I looked at my husband and smiled. "Welcome to the Neighborhood."

See the small town doesn't bother me. I'm from a small town in NJ. I'm used to driving more than 10 miles to the store and I'm used to silly parades and people that get excited over a new diner. I'm also used to seeing big hair and big butts. I'm just not used to not being able to get real pizza, good chinese, or even having to drive more than five mintues to get to a video store (thank god for Netflix). I'm also sick of them putting in another freaking burger joint or fake sub joint and the citizens getting excited over that. God they would go apeshit over a Jersey Mikes...or a Maria's pizza (from my hometown of Beachwood, NJ). My hubby, however, is a suburban maryland native. He's refine, cultured, and used to being surrounded by beautiful people. At our first shopping experience in Bealeton (at the Food Lion of course) my hubby walked closely next to me and kept saying "Rednecks, Rednecks, Rednecks!!" As if they had a communicable disease. Also he noted how 'large' some of the women were.

Obviously my hubby is getting used to the new demography. However, I will say it's not all his fault. The citizens (again, not all, just the well established ones) of Bealeton do bring it on themeselves. Case in point, during the first months that we moved into Bealeton, i stopped into the 7-11 to get a slurpee (cause slurpees rock). While I was waiting to pay, I watched a cashier stock these little rubber pigs. The cashier started fumbling with one. It turned out the pigs were lighters and the flame came out of the snout. The cashier thought this was the coolest thing EVER. She said to her coworker "Darlene would you look at this? The flame is coming out of his nose! I gotta get me some of these. Give some as gifts."

And right then and there I thought "I have arrived.."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home