The Life of a Bealeton Babe

Monday, May 28, 2007

The BB takes on Fauquier High School

today i did my obligatory one day substitute teaching for the county. I'll tell ya, I don't mind getting paid for doing nothing, however this was a pretty uncomfortable day. First off, I was subbing for a guy that doesn't have his own room. A teacher that doesn't have their own room is called a floater. Floaters are usually teachers that are relatively new to a school or they have less seniority than the others. They invade classroom after classroom, mooching space. There is no amrk of their own in the classroom. They are also under constant watch of their peers because the person that 'owns' the room stays there because a) it's 'their' room or b) it's their planning period and they couldn't possibly go anywhere else.

So you see the basics of what I delt with today. Here is how it all started. As advised by the county, I arrived over a half hour early to get settled in. THANK GOD I did this because nothing was right when I got there. Now because this teacher is a floater, I can see how things could go awry, however, I would have hoped that maybe this teacher could have had things laid out better. In his defense, I will say that the sub before me might have fubard it all.

The woman at the main office kindly (I'm being sarcastic) sent me to the teacher's lounge to find the substitute (sub) secretary. I found her and was given the teacher's schedule, and the schedule for the day. She tells me to report to his first Block classroom which is 213. His homeroom period has a big NA in the classroom box (because floaters have no classroom to do homeroom).

Next the sub secretary tells me a substitute handbook should be on the desk. Bingo, right there. This book is supposed to tell me everything I need to know. Ninety percent of it, I already know from subbing for the county and from being a teacher. However, it lacks one very important piece of information: lesson plans. I have no clue what I'm supposed to do with these kids. So I trot back to the sub secretary. She calls the department head (I was subbing for a history teacher (how appropriate). Then she sends me to his room.

I actually found the chair in an office across from his room. Turns out my guy does have an office (would have been nice to know that information). The department chair is a big, burly guy who is genuinely nice. he hands me two videos with a lesson plan and says "Here are his plans. Unfortunately, I cannot find his roll book." The chair goes off in search of roll sheets for me. while I was waiting, some stern looking guy comes in and checks my guy's desk. He doesn't look happy and he barely acknowledged my prescense (spell). I assume this is all over the missing roll book.

Eventually, the chair came back with some roll sheets. He also informed me that a video system was supposed to be delievered to the room, but he told me if it wasn't, I could borrow his (I had to borrow his).

I got back to Room 213 and prepared for the day. Turns out Room 213 belongs to stern guy. I can tell right off the bat that he's not from the area. He's very Italian. I got the New Jersey Italian feel from him, but it turned out he was from PA (close!). He was a pretty nice guy. He stayed in the room for about half the class period which was slightly intimidating, but not too bad.

As a whole, the day was cake walk. The kids had to watch a movie. Two classes had to watch thirteen days. Another class had to watch King Arthur. One of the classes watching thirteen days finished it within the first 10 minutes of class because they had started watching it another day (damn block scheduling--another blog for another day). The class was 14 boys and 7 girls. One boy said "I have Black Sheep with David Spade and Chris Farely". Of course EVERYONE wants to watch that. The teacher that 'owned' that class was on her way out (she actually left for me), but I turned to her and said "I don't want to get into trouble with administration for showing them that movie? Any ideas?" She tells the class she has a nice documentary on the 1960's they may like. A boy in the class coughs *lame*. She goes "you guys are lame." Then she turns to me and says "Show them the movie, it's the teacher's fault for not leaving you anything to do with them". And then leaves.

I love the movie Black Sheep and the kids were pretty much angels...except for constantly playing with the volume. oh and no one caught me...we were in the annex buildings...no one cares about people in there..

-BB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home