The Life of a Bealeton Babe

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Are teachers stupid?

A thought for the day...are teachers stupid? Now I know the answer to this question, but do you? Time to back track to where I got this divine thought. A while back I went to work for one whole day (back breaking, I know). Until the children reach the right age, I've decided to substitute teache (yes I said children, we'll have more, but not just yet). While the hubby was home on vacation, I went to work (some vacation huh?).

My assignment was at the local high school. The English-11 teacher was sick all week so they called me to fill in. The first class was good except it was full of alot of students that weren't into doing the assignment. One girl in particular just outright refused to do it. She felt more compelled to work on her math homework (which I told her to put away). Later, while this girl was stewing in her seat, she heard a fellow student talking about the SATs, to which she made this comment:

"I'm not taking the SATs, I don't want to be a stupid teacher."

Of course I just curtly said "I'm not stupid." She of course replied "Who said I was talking about you?" After that I just ignored her.

Now maybe this lovey wasn't talking about me, but it got me thinking. Are teachers stupid? While some teachers don't even hold a certification, I look to myself for the answer.

I have TWO degrees. One in social studies education and another in the history of women and gender. I was the only one in the teaching program to even concentrate in that form of history. Everyone else was all conformist with American History, Latin American History, and Georgraphy. And I worked damn hard for my two degrees. For three semesters I had a 4.0 average. after that I maintained a 3.5. For my certification exam, I had to study EIGHT subjects. I scored an average score in part I and I scored two points shy of a perfect score in part II.

So...am I a stupid teacher? I don't think so. However, she seems to be someone who appears to have no ambition (well she could still go to college without taking the SATs, I'm just assuming she has no interest in it). I would love to see where she will be in 10 years. At least I have a job and always will.

-The BB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home