The Life of a Bealeton Babe

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Quiche Lament

My day was going fairly well, so you had to know a bomb was going to drop, literally...

Today was a club meeting of mine. It's board meeting day and we had to bring pot luck lunch. I had decided to bring quiche. Of course at 11pm last night I remembered I left the eggs in the car, so unfortunately, they were bad (didn't want to tempt fate, I'm trying to make friends in this club here). This morning, I got up early, went to the Food Lion, got more eggs and even got the hubby yogurts for next week. I came home, managed to get the animals all taken care of, the boob fed, and the quiche in the oven with time to spare (should have know things were going too good).

Somehow, between a call from my friend and getting directions, time slipped away from me. I was running 5 minutes late, no biggie. I took the quiche out of the oven, where it was keeping warm and I put it in my tuppperware pie travel system. I had the boob in my arm with a diaper bag and purse on my shoulder. I grabbed the container by the nifty handle and went to go out the door. That's when it happened...

PLOP! Quiche on the floor.

Ok...don't panic...my heart is racing, my mind is fluttering "God I can't do anything right". I had gotten up early, got the eggs, cooked, was ready...now this...it's gone...quiche is gone...well not totally gone, but not able to serve at a potluck...I do what comes to my frustrated mind.

I scream on the top of my lungs. Poor boob reacts to my catharsis by crying. Poor thing. I tell her Mommy's not mad at her (more mad at herself). I repeat "I can do this, I can do this". Put the broken quiche in the fridge (I have starved too much in my past to let this go to waste), gather up the boob, yell to Signal to eat the crumbs on the floor (not very nicely cause I'm still pissed and I'm pissed at her cause she at stuff in the boob's bag earlier), and go.

I drive down the rode towards the light by the middle school. I see that it's not yet green. I stop and wait as the light turns...but it doesn't turn green on my side...it turns green on the other side. You see it's sensor activated and if the sensor isn't activated...no light. I suddenly do my impression of the Indian guy in "Office Space" and bang on my dashboard in frustration. Suddenly I see my neighbor pass me. I wave meekly. She kinda just waves limply back. She saw my hissy fit great. I won't be walking in my neighborhood for a while...great...just what I need a reputation as a nut. Well not like we're tight anyway.

I stop at Food Lion, pick up an apple danish cake and chocolate mini donuts cause I need chocolate at this point. As I drive to my meeting I'm upset. I keep telling myself, it's not a big deal. I'm actually proud of myself that I did call the hubby to cry about it. I'm getting over it. I start trying to pay attention to the roads cause where I'm going is out there in Warrenton. Of course I make two wrong turns cause I didn't trust my directions...but I eventually find the place (wish I can go into how beautiful it is...another post). I get there and get all settled. One woman asks how I am and I answer her fine now. Then i tell her all about the quiche. She goes into a story of how she once dropped cupcakes in her driveway. I suddenly feel better.

I don't know, I'm still uncomfortable in this new group of mine and not sure if I'm going to make lasting friendships in this. I am making friends and I know it all takes time. There are many reasons for my insecurities on this, but I won't go into it on my blog. I've met some really nice people and I worry that I'm not giving off the best impression. But that's me I worry alot.

What bothers me is I didn't freak as bad as I normally would, but I did freak. And I didn't like the boob's reaction. I really want to work on not freaking as much. But sometimes, one just has to scream it out. I don't like go ballistic. But sometimes I big "ARGH" just gets it out. And I really noticed, especially after talking to the other woman, that dropping food isn't something that exclusively happens to me. It happens to everyone at some point. And in the end, I brought other food, didn't show up empty handed, and I got to keep a quiche for myself (yes I'm eating it, and yes it's damn good).

I made myself feel totally better by doing what every girl does to make herself feel better...I went shopping. You must understand I'm not shopaholic shopper, but I am bargain shopper. Yesterday I brought a toy at the local thrift store. I was looking for an infant swing, but they had none there. I decided to buy something just cause I spent time looking around. Turned out they were having a HUGE ASS sale. I mean HUGE ASS because it was like 75% off. Yeah. And we're not talking gunked up toys either. I got, yesterday this vtech Winnie the Pooh talking book toy for $1.50. Then today I went back. I got The Little Touch LeapPad with cartridge for...

$1.50.

FREAKING STEAL!! these things sell for $35 for the Pad and $12.99 to start for the catridges. I felt like a criminal walking off with it. But I felt like a damn good criminal. I also got another VTech toy for $2 and a book for like free...and something for my neighbor's kid for $2. Total spent today, $4.06...so actually something else was cheaper...it was awesome. So now I have two things for Tori's b-day already. Tell you what my neighbors may think I'm a freak...but I'm a thirty freak...so who cares what they think...heheh

-The BB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home