The Life of a Bealeton Babe

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Give them flowers

My senior year of high school I had a peculiar teacher Mr. Miller. The man was...well, an interesting bird. My best memory of him was when he was acting out the story of David and Goliath while standing on his desk. He shouted loudly in a booming voice "And the Goliath wanted to KILL DAVID." The spanish teacher across the hall, Senora Ravitz shouted out her door, "Senor Miller, you are very loud!" He replied "Hey Ravitz, I'm acting out the story of David and Goliath, want to throw a stone at my head?!"

That should basically give you a good idea what he was like.

However, there as something he once said, I have never, ever forgotten. Apparently, he was widowed and had since remarried. Like a good widower, he still visited his first wife's grave.

"I don't bring flowers." he admitted to us, "You should give someone flowers when they are alive, not when they are dead. When they are dead they have no need for flowers. Give people flowers when they are alive."

You all have no idea how many times I think of that simple little bit of advice. Around the same year, I had a boyfriend. The guy gave me flowers all the time. I mean ALL THE TIME. They were mostly always red roses. Sometimes they were pink. One time he gave me peach. Always roses. Sometimes only one, sometimes a half dozen, sometimes even that whole dozen. He gave me roses for our monthly anniversary, Valentine's day, the "I'm sorry I'm an asshole" roses, and even "just because" roses. In the beginning, I loved it. Loved getting them, loved flaunting them around school. However, eventually, I got to a point I would think to myself "Christ flowers again?"

After that boyfriend, if a guy gave me a rose, he wasn't going to last long with me. I loathed them. Was so tired of them. I think the hubby got brownie points because the first time he gave me flowers they weren't roses. Rather they were my favorite flowers of all time...daisies...well actually my favorite flowers of all time are lilacs...but you know...I'm talking about flowers you receive from people...got me? Man, I should have had those flowers pressed...

Anyhoo, time has a funny way of passing and I guess I do learn from my past because now I savor every flower I ever get. Flowers that are sent to me last so long in this house that they start to grow flowers...well ok not flowers but they do get to a point of being VERY dead. I love them, love them, even the roses.

Like Mr. Miller explained, when someone is alive it's amazing the impact a small bunch of flowers could have on someone. And how hard is it? Hail down the all too familiar Hispanic guy on 8th street and help him out a bit. Stop at a 7-11 and tie a ribbon around a bunch. Pick them from that open field. What a way to let someone know, "I thought of you today." And unlike the dead, you can see the appreciation on their face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home