The Life of a Bealeton Babe

Monday, June 12, 2006

Days Awake

When I was a sophmore in high school, I moved in with my dad and stepmom. My brother was on the way and I was on my way to starting over in life. I was about to enjoy a life of normalcy (haha) for a change. This included starting a new school and making new friends.

One friend I made was a guy called J. J was very quiet, very nice, and a very good listener. We met during lunch period and hit it off right away when the subject of music was brought up. He was learning to just play the guitar and bass and I came from a family where my dad played the bar circuit for many years in his band. He thought that was pretty cool and I thought anyone that played guitar, bass, or drums was cool. One day, we ended up exchanging numbers and thus began a few years of four hour long calls of not necessarily talking about anything, to maybe actually talking about everything, or maybe just listening to J play.

One of my favorite J stories (next to the day he fell in my backyard playing manhunt and next to a certain day at the Roxie--remember ya'll I speak in code) is when one particular time he was playing to me over the phone. My dad happened to be walking by me in the hallway and stopped in his tracks. He looked over at me as if to say "WTF?". He quickly said to me "WTF are you listening to?" I handed my dad the phone and said "My friend J is playing to me." Daddy listened to the phone for a few seconds, handed it back, and said "Tell him he needs to practice." Years later, when leaving a bar where we watched J play, I reminded my dad this story and I asked him, "So does J still need to pracice?" To which my dad replied proudly, "Nah".

I say proudly because both me and my dad couldn't be prouder today of my friend J. He's currently in a band called Days Awake. They play mostly in New Jersey, but they've been getting out there alot more. Their single "Day after Day" have been featured on the radio and recently, they are competing in the Lollapalooza Last Band standing contest. Basically, a bunch of bands duke it out for the last spot to appear in the festival. I am using this space to shamlessly plug my friend's band. Go out there and vote!! and you can vote everyday using every email you have. Please do this!!! J and his band have been working their tails off the past two years and they totally deserve this. First go check out their website, have a listen to their tracks, then go vote.

Like I said, I'm proud of my friend and I want to see his band win this. Even if the wanker doesn't read this blog (or his email or IM messages). :)

-The BB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home