The Life of a Bealeton Babe

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Teaching interview

First let me say...Happy birthday to my hubby. you better love that Dyson I got you (actuallY I know you do...a bit too much...like Scary Movie too much...but I digress). So like this blog is about me living in little 'ole Bealeton, probably time I started writing about living in Bealeton again huh? Yeah...

Last year, I was doing my student teaching internship. For my this task, I was assigned to teach in the Prince George's County school system in Maryland. The best way to describe this school system was given to me by a fellow teacher. She said "If you can teach here, you can teach anywhere." Powerful words...powerful, but true. Not to say I didn't love my intership experience. I think it made me stronger, and definitely a much better teacher. And I loved each and every single one of my students (even the pains in the asses). To give some demograhic information about my students, about 90% were black, and then after that, we had latinos, very few asians, and of course, caucasions.

I had to do this mandatory interview for my internship. As luck would prevail, there was a job fair in Fauqiuer County last year. I went in hopes of getting my interview out of the way since they were doing on the spot interviews. I wasn't entirely interested in going any farther than the first stage of job fair cause I was 9 1/2 weeks pregnant at the time of the interview (actually, maybe even more). I was interviewed by this big cheese in the county. Everything seemed all cookie cutter and going just fine.

After the formal interview was over, I was asked if I had any questions. I remembered how it always looked good to have questions at an interview, so I mentally brought up the questions I had been wanting to ask. I asked a few I don't remember then i remember asking:

"What is the demographic breakdown of Fauquier County?"

I remember feeling so smart asking this question and I remember the man's face light up as I asked it. "Actually" he said, "I wrote a report on this subject" (score one for me.). He continued

"Our breakdown is 10% black, 6% Hispanic, and we have four Eskimos".

...
I'm not kidding people, four Eskimos. he was infinitely proud of these four Eskimos. I have yet to meet the four Eskimos, but I'm sure they will pop up sometime. I came home and remember screaming to the hubby "10% black? 6% Hispanic? FOUR ESKIMOS?? They think that's diversity???"

In the past two years, I admit, I'm seeing more diversity filter into this county and I welcome that as a good thing. However, I also am seeing how totally wholly unprepared they are for this thing. Wishing them luck. Maybe in a few years they will have some outreach done to those four eskimos...sorry I just can't get over that they actually put that in a report...

1 Comments:

  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Dennis said…

    Eskimo and Inuit development is important. You never know when the next.. uh.. ice age will come and you'll need that cultural and genetic background in the genes.

    And you may trust my judgement, she's a babe. Graduated to MILF status. That may have a misleading connotation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home