The Life of a Bealeton Babe

Saturday, February 17, 2007

OH MY GOD IT SNOWED!

Not aht it hasn't snowed in Bealeton this winter, but the other day we got the big one. Yessire people, we got the storm we've been waiting for. Schools have been closed since Tuesday. People stayed home from work on Wednesday. Even the federal goverment closed early on Tuesday.

Guess what we got people? A whole 1/2 inch of snow with 1/4 inche of ice on top. Yeah the ice was nasty stuff, but guess what, during the day, it melts.

Ok, ok before some of you who experienced this weather down here start jumping down my throat hear me out. I completely understand the early closures on Tuesday. I myself took off of work that day, but rescheduled for fear of getting stuck driving with retards that can't drive in the snow/ice. The hubby also confirmed on Tuesday that the roads were slick. Ok, so I get that. Another thing I completely understood was the closing of school Wednesday. Being that the mini plow in Bealeton doesn't even show up in my neighborhood until noon (another post for another time), I get how it was impossible to get the buses out.

Here's what I don't get:

First off, Fauquier County closed schools on Tuesday. Yup, completely closed them. NO delay openings or early dismissals (which would have made sense). Nope, they closed the schools in sheer anticipation of bad weather. Sure it was snowing in the am on Tuesday, but 1) it wasn't even sticking, 2) it was warm, and 3) it ended within an hour. So there was waste of a snow day #1.

Wast of a snow day #2: Thursday. Crews had all day Wednesday to clear the roads. And trust me, the mini plow that could in Bealeton worked his little ass off and got my area cleared. He did an awesome job. Come Thursday my driveway was the most dangerous place. Not my street. Delay opening, ok, that would be understood. Closoing school? Just stupid.

Waste of snow day #3: Friday. Yup, all area schools were clsoed Friday. Why? I got no friggin' clue. Maybe in other parts of the county it was bad, but COME ON. This is getting retarded. The roads were fine to drive on by Wednesday night. Even the side roads were ok. I'm at a loss.

Maybe the school system feels bad because they know deep down we aren't going to get that 6 inch - 1 foot snow. Hell, we won't even get that 3 inches of snow. Maybe the board figures, "oh give the kids the days, we them to spare". Al I have to say is my friends from Newfoundland and Massachusettes think us in Virginia, Maryland, and DC are a bunch of pussies.

-The BB

2 Comments:

  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger Polarhound said…

    In New England, a foot of snow just means you leave for work 20 minutes earlier so you have time to run the snowblower up and down your driveway while the car is warming up.

    We got 11" in Springfield from that storm, and nobody batted an eye over it. No schools closed. No government offices closing early.

    It's winter. It's New England. It's normal.

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Bealeton Babe said…

    See we are pussies lol...
    Oh well the kiddies are going back to school tomorrow. They took the holiday away. They have to go for a full day too. THE HORROR!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home